Meeting Minutes - January 26, 2012
Submitted by Regan Rothery, Secretary
- A change to the way we approve minutes was motioned and approved. We decided that since minutes are posted to the website they will be automatically approved.
- If you notice something that is incorrect or needs to be changed, simply notify us and they will be amended (you can let us know at the next meeting or via email – whichever you prefer!).
- Weekend sews have now been moved to the 2nd Sunday of the month
- The next weekend sew is February 12th – come by for some fun stitching camaraderie
- Our new challenge – a Round Robin Swap will start next month at our February Meeting! More info to follow on the Events page, but here’s the basic gist:
- Bring a block to the next meeting in a paper bag
- Include a journal page with the bag. You can specify a theme of your quilt, and you can also specify anything you’d like avoided (no wonky, no polka dots, whatever). However, don’t get too specific on what you’d like. The whole goal is to be surprised with everyone’s creativity.
- Feel free to include some fabric from your stash if you have anything you’d like to see included
- Specify if you’d like to see the monthly progress or if you’d like to be kept in the dark untilit’s all done
- Swap rotation will be specified next month
- We have a Flickr page specifically for the Round Robin swap – the swap order will be included so please join if you’d like to be in the Round Robin
- OCMQG’s First Bi-Annual Quilt Challenge!!
- Bring on the creativity folks! It’s time for a challenge!
- Use an item or picture (illustration, painting, photograph – whichever you choose) as the inspiration for your quilt – we will need to see the item/picture
- Minimum size is 40”x40”
- Judging will be in June 2012 – we will get a fun modern quilting judge that is (hopefully) not a part of the Guild
- We would like to give the winner of the challenge
- We proposed to buy a $50 Sewing Party gift certificate for the winner
- The motion was seconded and will be tabled until the February meeting
- Guild members: Please be prepared to vote on this at the February meeting. There is no proxy voting, so you need to be there if you want to cast a vote.
- LAMQG Field Trip on January 31st for the Anna Maria Horner talk
- Event details posted under Events
- Sherri Lynn Wood Improv Mood Quilt Workshop
- July 21st-22nd
- Learn amazing strip & curve piecing techniques with improvisation
- Location TBD, but probably the same location we held our Holiday Party
- Space will be limited to 16 attendees on a first come-first serve basis
- Finalized info will be provided on our Events page, so keep your eyes peeled! This is sure to be one amazing workshop!
Yolanda showed an awesome half square triangle demo. Did you know that you could sandwich two squares together, sew a ¼” hem on all four sides, cut corner to corner, and end up with four perfect half square triangles? Yolanda did and she showed us all how. Do you have a demo to share? Let us know and bring it to a meeting!
Pimp My Quilt
Stuck, uninspired, confused? Bring a quilt and get some advice from the members!
Show & Tell
We had another inspiring show & tell. Bring your quilt to the next meeting to show us what