June 30, 2011 Meeting Minutes
- July 17th is our next Weekend Sew at The Sewing Party. We’ll be meeting from 12:00-4:00 pm to hang out and stitch together. RSVP here.
- Our next Guild Meeting is July 28th at 6:30 pm at The Sewing Party. We had an awesome turn out at June’s meeting, so be there or be square! RSVP here.
- Yolanda discussed the Round Robin Bee
- The deets (details):
- You start with a block. As the quilt makes its way around from member to member, each person adds more on. The goal is to have a quilt top at the end of the process!
- Each member of the Round Robin would get the quilt top for a month to add to as they wish.
- You generally would sew either a 12.5” block or add a 31” row of sashing, but the owner of the quilt may allow embellishing in lieu of adding additional yardage.
- Each month, you’d add your yardage and journal an entry with the story behind your addition.
- The owner can include fabrics for you to incorporate. You would add fabric from your stash.
- We’d like to top each round at 10 members a piece.
- We’d take November and December off to keep time open for the hectic holiday season.
- The owner of the quilt top can choose to see their top each month as it progresses, or they can be kept in the dark for the big reveal
- Interested in joining? Have any more questions? Email Yolanda! (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Signups are here!
- The International Quilt Festival is fast approaching on July 29th-31st in the LBC. We are getting a group together to go on Friday the 29th, so RSVP here if you’re interested.
- The Garment District field trip is still in the works. Chances are it’ll be in August.
- The meeting attendees all voted and passed the following dues structure with unanimous approval:
- Dues will be $40 annually
- If you pay before July 31st, you’ll get an early bird rate of $35.
- Make all checks payable to OCMQG.
- You can bring your check to the next Guild meeting on July 28th, or you can mail it to:
c/o The Sewing Party
23561 Ridge Route Dr # F
Laguna Hills, CA 92653
- For more information on how to pay, email our Treasurer, Bunnie Mauldin here (email@example.com
- New By-Laws are up on our website here. Meeting attendees went over the changes. The new By-Laws were voted on and approved.
- Our First Charity quilt is completed and will be donated to Casa Teresa
- We have 14 string blocks! Let’s get some more in so we can piece them into a quilt top! Email Deidra Foster here (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Vanessa showed us how to finish our binding ends diagonally, giving them a very clean, less bulky finish. Did you miss it? Are you kicking yourself? Fret no more my dear; she posted a tutorial just for you on her blog.
Block of the Quarter:
Each quarter we will vote on a quilt square to make. We will pick colors and post the instructions online. At the end of each quarter, everyone brings in their square and puts their name in a hat. One person’s name is drawn and they take all the blocks home!
- Bring your Mod Circle blocks to the July meeting for a chance to win! If you haven't made them but want to, get the pattern here!
- Our next BOQ is the Pick Up Stix pattern. Susan posted the instructions here!
- Colors for the main block are white, white on white, off white – any white/white-ish color
- The “stix” are any autumn color. Use your imagination!
- The goal is for folks to make this without having to purchase any fabric. Get creative and hit that stash!
- Finished blocks aren’t due until September, so you have plenty of time to get on it!
Bring in a fun beachy/summer fat quarter. Anything that reminds you of summertime, the beach, warm lazy days – get creative and don’t overthink it! Does it remind you of summer? Swap it!
We finished off our meeting with some awesome show & tell. Bring your finished projects to share with us at our next meeting on July 28th! RSVP here!