March 24th, 6:30pm
The Sewing Party
6 in attendance – several of our “regulars” were missing. Yolanda had to take minutes and hopes she does not forget anything important.
WELCOME/ NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTIONS
- Yolanda began the meeting by asking all in attendance where they spent their last vacation. She went to Hawaii; Dedria never really gets a vacation because she goes “back east” to visit family, Gigi went somewhere totally cool, and Susan had a stay at home vacation. Sherri went to a cold state recently (North Dakota?) and Yolanda totally forgot where Vanessa went.
Please welcome our two new members, Sherri from Mission Viejo who already brought us in two awesome quilts for show & tell and Vanessa from Brea who is quite the experienced sewer.
- Next Weekend Sew will still be at the Sewing Party on April 10th -- at the new location!!
- The only old business we had to discuss is dues but since our interim treasurer, Bunny, was not present we decided to have the discussion next meeting.
- Yolanda asked if anyone present had ideas for the guild and at that time no one did. Later in the meeting the group decided that field trip to Michael Levine’s Los Angeles garment district would be fun. Susan graciously agreed to coordinate the trip. Another idea discussed is guild challenges. Stay tuned for more discussion on these exciting ideas!
- Deidra demonstrated two methods of making prairie points. One was the strip method and another by single square. She also gave us several ideas on projects to use this on (like pillows) and suggested a modern twist by placing random points grouped around a quilt. Looks for tutorial links posting on NING! The demo was inspiring ~ look for prairie points in some modern quilts soon!
- Only one person brought her Mod Circle block. The group decided to make the Mod Circle the BOM for April and push all other blocks out a month. Yolanda will ask Melinda to update NING accordingly.
CHARITY QUILT UPDATES
- The scrap swap was discussed and the general consensus is the commitment to make a project for someone from their scraps is too much at this time of the year. Instead we will exchange a fat quarter (or two) next meeting. For now the guild will go back to swapping fat quarters, squares and scrap baggies.
SHOW & TELL
- Sherri brought a really cute polka dot quilt to share and another quilt using Marimekko fabrics which she purchased on eBay at a great price. The entire quilt cost less than $6.00. The pattern was her own design and needless to say we were quite impressed.
- Susan brought in her quilt which she wouldn’t let be photographed until it’s complete.
- Deidra brought in a bag which she made from a scrap piece of upholstery fabric Yolanda brought to last meeting. After she showed it off to the group she gave it to Yolanda. Yolanda was deeply touched by the gesture and has not let go of the bag since (except to sew and shower).
Oh and Susan brought yummy cookies to share.