Meeting minutes – September 29, 2011
- We all went around introducing ourselves and told everyone about our second favorite hobbies. Quilting
is #1 – it goes without saying!
- The meeting minutes from August 2011 were approved with no amendments
- Our next weekend sew is on October 16th at the Sewing Party
- Our improv sew is on October 23rd
- Bring some scraps if you’d like. We’re looking for small, medium, and large, but let your senses be your guide. There is no wrong size! Yolanda will also be bringing a bunch of her scraps, so don’t feel like you have to bring anything but yourself, your machine, and your creativity.
- We will start the sew with a group sew along to get in the groove with improv. After that, you can sew on your own or sew with the group.
- Our next guild meeting is on October 20th
- Guest speaker will be the Batty Lady. She has tons of great information on batting and brings loads of samples. A truly great speaker you won’t want to miss!!
- Our guest speaker for our November meeting will be none other than the founder of the Modern Quilt
Guilds herself – Ms. Alissa Height Carlton!!!
- OCMQG’s 2011 holiday party!
- We will hold our party at the Glenwood Park Recreation Center again this year
- Time will be 11:00 – whenever!
- Potluck – bring some tender vittles!!!
- This party will replace our December meeting and sew, so bring your machine and projects to spend a day of food, fun, carols, and swaps!
- Voluntary swap: Everyone who’d like to participate can make something (last year, most folks made a pillow or a bag), wrap it, and be entered into the swap. This is a Yankee Swap meaning that we will choose a name to pick a gift, and they can either “yank” one of the opened gifts that they like, or they can pick one of the unopened gifts.
- Unfinished swap: Bring a project you just can’t find the gumption to finish, and swap it for another unfinished project
- Raffle: Bring any notion, gift certificate, or fabric and be entered into the raffle
- We voted and approved the motion to spend $75 of guild funds to pay for the rec room for our party
- Yolanda will post info on Ning, so keep your eyes peeled. [See event details and RSVP here!]
- At our January meeting we will hold a fabric swap. Bring that fat quarter, yard or more of fabric that
you’ve been holding on to and you can swap, yard for yard, with another guild member. Take that New
Years’ Resolution to clean out your stash, and get some fabulous new fabric in return!
- Michelle Flores spoke on the new Hoffman fabric lines. She also told us about the Hoffman Challenge,
now in its 25th year. Find out more about the challenge here: http://www.hoffmanchallenge.com/challenge2012.html
- We had a bunch of participants for our Pick Up Stix (Dori even made a quilt with the pattern!). Our
winner was Linda Shotwell!!
- Our new BOQ will be the Acadia
- Susan will be posting the directions on Ning
- The pictures in the tutorial show the colorway we need to use. The only difference is to use grey sashing between your blocks instead of white.
- Make three bricks. They can be any three; just don’t make all three solid rectangles.
- Bring your spooky Halloween fat quarters to next month’s meeting for a fun, themed swap. Use your imagination, the fabric doesn’t have to have pumpkins, or be orange and black. If it reminds you of Halloween for whatever reason, bring it for the swap!
- International Quilt Festival
- Visual submissions (photos of your quilt) are due all the way on March 2nd. Think about maybe making & quilting something to enter!
- Possible OCMQG quilt submission? Put that bee in your bonnet and be ready to discuss at the next meeting. There’s time aplenty for us to come up with an idea and submit it.
- The entry must be home made and home quilted.